Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Demand a higher standard

As many of you know I strive to point out the injustices that I see in various situations that occur. I am taking a particular risk with this posting. The subject of my post is the vast majority of Nigerians. Yes...I am probably talking about you. While we can all talk until we are blue in the face about the injustices that exist in Nigeria, each of us hold a piece of the dysfunction that exists.


I have noticed that while we may talk a "big game" about accountability, at the end of the day our actions don't match our words. The standard that Nigerians hold their public officials to is very low. What do I mean by this? Well it is actually fairly simple. I have noticed that Nigerians often applaud ludicrous behavior that is frankly unacceptable.

The most recent example of this revolves around the topic of the blog from earlier this week. I discussed the actions of Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State. He decided to take the law into his own hands and to pursue enforcement of the "commercial vehicle lane." While some Nigerians were seeing this as a despicable act the vast majority of individuals who weighed in on this issue were applauding the governor.

This brings me to my question...Are we really ready to bring about change? In order to bring about this change, it is essential to hold the governmental officials accountable for their leadership. Until they receive the pressure from us they will not change their behavior. It is time to end the status quo. The status quo I am referring to is the complacency of Nigerians. Stand up for what you believe in. Examine what is really important to bringing about changes. Most of all don't celebrate the stupidity exhibited by the governmental leaders. In fact...I implore you to stand up against these acts and demand a higher standard of action. The standard I am referencing is to promote a Nigeria that is free from corruption, that offers equal opportunity to all and most importantly is a desirable place for individuals to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment